Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Beginning

On June 8, 2009 I was notified by my gynecologist that the biopsy taken the previous week was indeed Endometrial Cancer.  I was already scheduled for a CT scan to see if the cancer had spread, the surgeon was notified and I was to see her, and I was to have surgery on Friday June 12, 2009 @ 1pm.

CT scan was negative for metastasis so I felt good about that.  My husband David and I met the surgeon, Marcia Bowling a gynecologic oncologist.  She was very confident.  She explained the surgery and we were as ready as we could be.

June 12, 2009 a hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oopherectomy was performed.  Multiple lymph nodes and washing were sampled.  When the pathology report came back the next week the staging was early and since no mets had been found we were confident everything was fine.  Radiation to the next likely spot, the vagina, was done to lessen the chance of recurrence from 15 to 3-4%.  You see the tumor was near the vasculature so the Radiation was administered vaginally (second oncologist joins my case).

Checks were done faithfully every three months and all was well.  During the summer of 2010 I complained of not having my stamina back.  I was referred to my primary care for work-up.  Of course nothing was found.  They always want to say the since I was old, fat, and don't exercise is the reason for just about anything,

In Dec 2010 during my regular check up I described a couple of vague abdominal symptoms that just could not be explained away.  So we got a CT and Chest Xray.  Sure enough, there it was.

On January 4, 2011 I found out that the Cancer had metastasized to my retroperitoneal lymph nodes and nodules were scattered bilaterally throughout my lungs.  Old, fat, and not exercising huh?  Seriously?

I saw yet another oncologist and the process was initiated immediately to begin chemo.  A biopsy performed on January 7th confirmed the diagnosis.  Jan 13th I had a port-a-cath surgically implanted in my upper left shoulder for easy access to administer the chemo and draw blood.  Yesterday, Jan 18th I had my first chemo treatment.

You see, this cancer is aggressive.  If I don't have chemo, although the doctor absolutely admits that he cannot know when a person will die, I only have months.  With chemo there is a 60% chance for remission.

I have wondered how I would react if I ever received news like this.  I was feeling blessed and grateful to have gotten mine removed with so little chance of recurrence when others weren't so fortunate.

When a friend who was diagnosed with cancer the same year as I died just a few days ago I thought how does God choose who gets to live or die.  The very next day I found out mine had spread.

So here is my response to this news:  God is in charge and He knows what He is doing. I have always trusted God with my life.  We have followed where He was leading, at least to the best of our discernment.  He has ALWAYS taken care of us and our family.  I love Him so much and my love grows as I get older and see more of Him.

 I don't want to die.  I have a lot to do yet.  Dustin will get married.  Haley will get married.  Nick and Blake will some day for that matter.  Michelle and Bill need me to be their ever so present mother/mother-in-law for many years yet.  Then Dustin will have kids etc.  Mom and Dad are still here and although I don't do that much for them living the farthest away, I do what I can.  David needs me I think, at least to take care of his medical issues.  That's one of the things I can do well.  lol.

Singing in Fresh Winds, they don't need me, but I sure do need them.  They cannot know just how precious they are to me.  Words do not do it justice.  I mean that about each and every member.

Then there's our friends in the bt.  Nothing needs to be said here.  What said in bt........!

So what's next for me?  I will do what I can to fight this "poison" in me.  God will take me when He is ready and not before.  It is really left up to Him.  He does know that I want to stay as long as I can.

I know I will have various kinds of days and moods, both ups and downs.  God knows that too.  He has been so patient with me over these past 57 years.  I have grown to know that He loves me and does not condemn me.  He created me and has changed me to be more like he wants me to be.  I am not a finished product yet.  I falter and fail more times that I would like.  But I have also grown in so many ways too.  The good thing is that there is nothing I do that gets me into heaven.  Only the grace of God by His Son dying on the cross accomplishes that.  He did it for me and you.

I want to live my life to the fullest for as long as I have left.  I really don't have a bucket list since I do pretty much what I want to now.  I want more time.  I want to be around people who I love and love me.  That's really what I want to do.

I have a lot of singing, laughing, and aggravating doctors left to do.  And, don't forget the RAVE!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Diane for fighting the good fight of faith! You have many who love you and are praying for your strength! God is able and you know it! Praying daily for your strength and comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the blog ... I'm impressed!! You are in my constant thoughts & prayers. I pray that you receive total strength & healing. I pray that you will be an inspiration to those around you; that God's love and shining light will be evident to all who come in contact with you. Live strong Diane. And when you hit those days where you don't feel like you can go on, rest assured that friends around the world are lifting you up in prayer and know that HE will sustain you. Love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Di, I think you have talent for this blog thing. I am sorry to hear about your latest battle. You know there are so many of us thinking and praying for you. Keep your faith so strong and keep aggravating those Doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to journal, Lady Di!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane,
    What a shock to learn about the return and spread of your cancer. Thank you for starting this blog of your daily walk and sharing with all your friends and loved ones your thoughts and prayer requests. We are praying for you and your family during this hard and difficult time. If you and David can ever get away, you are welcome to come and stay with us in warm and sunny Arizona. We would love it! May God give you stamina, strength and comfort each moment of each day!
    Love and prayers, Linda Rowland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diane,
    Great blog and thank you for sharing it. I admire you a lot and you are in our prayers. Keep fighting the fight and never give up. The "poison" you talked about cannot win, Jesus is the healer above all the poisons.
    Just say the name....
    Gaby and Hector Medina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane,
    You are a great person and friend. I admire you so much. You and your family are in my constant thoughts and prayers. Thanks for writing about your journey.
    Love,
    Julie Drake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words have humbled me. So genuine and deeply truthful. I look forward to knowing you better through this blog. You are in my continued prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not the worship freak but let me just tell you that Fresh Winds DOES need you and wouldn't be the same without you! I thought of you today as I saw my oncologist and was told that my prognosis was excellent - don't need to come back for six months. But only the Lord knows the number of our days and that is a comforting thought. You've been on my mind and in my heart constantly ~ praying the side effects of the chemo will be minimal and that you'll bounce back quickly after each one. See you next Thursday at rehearsal! :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, the blog is great & I'm feel priviledged being able to follow you journey. I've been there so I do understand...I found on those down day's that if I let my mind run it would take me places I didn't want to be so I really tried on those to shut it off & think of something positive like my wonderful buddy who walked with me side by side. I know that's what David is doing & will continue to do along with your children. Your are being wrapped in prayer by so many and we know the Lord will carry you through.
    Listen, you are much needed in the Fresh Winds & of course the Buckeyes despartley need you in there corner. Oh, I we can't forget O.U.!!The Ry man does, too!
    Love you & thank you for this wonderful blog...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, in the words of my niece "I HATE cancer"!!! BUT I love the Lord and one thing for SURE, I know that you love the Lord more than anything!!!! You are tough and that WILL keep you fighting for everything, but on those days that you can't hold those arms up to fight, like Aaron, Hur and Moses, there are many who will keep lifting you up in prayer and help you through prayer to fight that fight!!!!! LOVING your updates!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane,
    Sorry you felt so bad today. Guess that's the chemo doing it's job! Hope tomorrow is a better day for you! I am very impressed with your blog. FYI: the quiet guy that empties our trash told me he is praying for you. I think that is most he has said in the months that he has been coming into the office! You can't imagine all the people who are praying for you. Hope to see you tomorrow.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete